Friday, October 17, 2008

ADDENDUM:

After going on a run and listening to some songs on my iPod, I realized that I forgot a few fantastic examples of hip-hop samples and their original counterparts. I would also like to add that the majority of my research comes from a series of youtube videos from DJ Funktual. So thank you, Mr. Funktual, and keep groovin'! 

Without further ado, my faves ... again!

-"Nothin' But a G Thang," Dr. Dre samples "I Want'a do Something Freaky," Leon Haywood.
I honestly can't believe I forgot this one, because this is an iconic hip-hop song off of an iconic hip-hop album. Props to Dre and co. for taking a smooth, slow jam, tweaking it and inserting it into a chill West Coast rap song. Ahead of their time. WARNING: Leon Haywood's version is a little raunchy. It was the '70s, folks!

-"Regulate," Warren G. samples "I Keep Forgettin'," Michael McDonald.
This was the subject of a viral internet video series called "Yacht Rock." Basically, some fellow 20-somethings (who were also fascinated by the culture of their Baby Boomer parents) wanted to chronicle (and spoof) the inception and popularity of the late '70s, early '80s soft rock. Think later Doobie Brothers, Kenny Loggins, and more obscure bands like Ambrosia and Firefall. The 2 tracks mentioned up here are both ... well .. smooth. I'm still amazed a hip-hop song can be that smooth, yet talk about gang violence. Well done, Mr. G!

-"Still Not a Playa," Big Pun samples "A Little Bit of Love," Brenda Russell
I admire how Big Pun turned a pretty tame '80s jam into a hip hop song about being a "playa." Also, listen for the gratuitous "Uptown Baby" lyric. The only drawback to this sampling (in my eyes at least) is his lack of variety. I would have liked to hear him incorporate more of the song in his sample, because the two are so blatantly different.

-"It was a Good Day," Ice Cube, samples "Footsteps in the Dark," Isley Brothers.
The Brothers Isley are in the same position as Sly and the Family Stone when it comes to hip-hop samples: they are the "go to" artists, because they have amazing grooves, hooks, breakbeats, etc. embedded in their songs. It's like a theoretical smorgasbord with every 5- minute track (sometimes more, if you count parts 1 AND 2). I like this example because the rhymes seem to mesh with the groove ("didn't have to use my AK - today was a good day") ...

-"Hypnotize" by Notorious B.I.G. samples "Rise," Herb Alpert. 
This hip-hop/original song combo gets the award for, "Cheesiest original song turned into hottest hip-hop beat." If I had to name the grandaddy of Yacht Rock, this instrumental would definitely be in my top 5. For an added bonus, the Youtube video is PRICELESS. Just take a gander: awkward white people, dancing on the beach, offbeat clapping and gratuitous camera flashes. But then, at 3:15 - there it is! The primary sample for Biggie Smalls!

-"Summertime," DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince samples "Summer Madness," Kool and the Gang.
These guys integrated the sample so well, they actually mention it in their lyrics, too ("this is the Fresh Prince's new definition of Summer Madness"). And who wouldn't? It lends itself wonderfully to rap lyrics. They also added a little backup singing, which also would have sounded great (and applicable) in the original.

That's all I got for now. But I'm sure I'll be writing a Part 3 soon, once I find a great record store in town. :) In the meantime, if you guys have any hip-hop song you want to stump me with, bring it on, folks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Runrunrunrunrunrunrun!
You need a doggie to take running.
We should get one.
Yeah....
Two people, two cats and a dog in one small apartment.
Hmm....